The site of Shunji Bridge is located outside Deji Gate, the southern entrance to ancient Quanzhou. Spanning over Jinjiang River, It was the primary access to the land transportation node between the ancient city of Quanzhou and the South Bank of Jinjiang River. Shunji Bridge was built in 1211 by the then governor Zou Yinglong of the Southern Song dynasty. It remained in use until the 20th century. Today, the remaining of the Shunji Bridge is about 400 meters long and being preserved as a heritage site.
As the primary access to ancient Quanzhou’s commercial district, Shunji Bridge was built as the rise of maritime trade in Quanzhou, and enhanced the land-water transshipment system. The Bridge strengthened the land transport links between Quanzhou city and the southern plains, hills and wharf area.
The site of Shunji Bridge, together with the site of Deji Gate and Tianhou Temple, reflect the development of the commercial urban area in the south of the old city driven by maritime trade. They bear witness to the expansion of business which was promoted by the development of a transport system.